Saturday, September 8, 2012

REMEMBER ME - PREVIEW

Remember Me
May 2013
PC, PS3, Xbox 360

Developed by Dontnod Entertainment

Published by Capcom



I came across a Tweet from IGN this morning, "Check out 10 minutes of gameplay for 'Remember Me.'" I had never heard of this upcoming title (the first release from Dontnod Entertainment), but the name intrigued me and I was willing to surprise myself. Glad I did because "Remember Me" looks pretty and neat. It's on my radar now. "Remember Me"? Yes, I will.

While the game is still a ways off (Q2 2013) the level on display in the video above looks remarkably polished. The majority of the 10 minutes has Nilin, a memory hunter, escaping aeriel fire across the rooftops of Neo-Paris circa 2084. Imagine a third-person "Mirror's Edge" (with red pipes to shimmy and all) with a heavier dose of sci-fi and more room for melee combat. This might be the most bullets ever fired at someone who never takes a hit as she runs, jumps, climbs and grapples her way along a linear route, but that's what our action adventures are allowed occasionally - especially if the "cool factor" is met. Watch the way Nilin totally dismantles a pair of guards she meets in the hallway. And whatever is she doing with their heads as a finishing move? Something regarding their memories, which leads into the story of the futuristic action game (with hopefully little-to-none gunfire).

There is something special about "chase levels" in games. Yes, they can be infuriating trial-and-error exercises, but when you pull it all off in a single go there are few moments quite as satisfying. While we keep our fingers crossed for a sequel to "Mirror's Edge" (thoug I guess I should get around to finishing the first game before I deserve that) "Remember Me" might just be the next thing we've been waiting for. High concepts from the likes of "Inception" also seem on display here. Those are two fine influences, but "Remember Me" also looks to bring plenty of its own style and substance to the party.


Live on. Game on.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see a non-Caucasian female protagonist. I'm very intrigued by the definite Mirror's-Edge inspiration in the level design; hopefully the creators didn't go so far as to also imitate the grossly non-intuitive game control scheme that so hugely frustrated me when I played it. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete